Maybe not your grandma, but this is from our holiday past and still my favorite.
Servings: 8 servings
9 x 13 baking pan
- 1 1/2 lbs white bread I prefer Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse® Hearty White.
- 6 tbsp butter If unsalted, keep that in mind when seasoning.
- 2 medium onions Diced.
- 3 stalks celery Diced.
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley Chopped fine. Or use 1/8 teaspoon dried.
- 4 cups chicken stock Or, use your own turkey stock.
- 2 large eggs Mixed thoroughly with a fork or whisk.
Preheat oven to 275°.
Tear a 1 1/2 lb loaf of white bread into 1/2" average pieces.Yes, the heels, too.
Spread the bread pieces out on two sheet pans and place in oven.
Bake for 45 minutes, turning the sheet pans, and switching between oven racks after 25 minutes.
Remove bread pieces from oven and let cool completely for at least an hour.
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a pre-heated (medium) skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onion and celery until very soft and brownish, but not burnt. Mix in eggs and parsley.
In a big bowl, mix together the bread bits and onion-celery sauté.
Spread the mixture in a 9" x 13" Pyrex baking dish, or equivalent.
Baked your stuffing for 1 hour. Check to see if it's done and bake some more or not. Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 378kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 698mg | Potassium: 333mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 564IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 250mg | Iron: 4mg