A delicious and infinitely variable hummus as a veggie dip or spread.
Servings: 16 servings, more or less
- 15.5 oz garbanzo beans (chickpeas) from the can, drained and rinsed.
- 5-6 oz roasted red peppers About 1/3 of a jar (Dad prefers Mezzetta brand) with the olive oil they're packed in, or make your own from fresh.
- 1 each jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced Include the seeds and ribs to increase the heat significantly, or not.
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced Use as little as one teaspoon of minced garlic to tone it down.
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped Fresh cilantro adds a clean overtone that can't be beat.
- 3 tablespoons onion, diced As with the garlic, you can adjust the quantity, the punch, or the onion variety to taste.
- 1 teaspoon favorite salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce A Mexican specialty that can be found in most grocery stores. Remove a pepper from the can or jar and a teaspoon of the Adobo sauce. Chop, retaining seeds or not. We like Embasa brand in the small can. Buy prudently. I didn't use mine fast enough in this and other dishes, so they went bad in the fridge.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika For garnish. Or, non-smoked, but smoked complements the Adobo sauce well.
Place everything but the olive oil in a food processor.
Drizzle in the olive oil as you chop and mix the other ingredients until the mixture is very smooth. This will take at least a minute. Stop periodically and scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
Remove to bowl. Chill the fresh hummus in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Enjoy spreading your hummus on pita chips, crackers, or fresh veggies. If serving from a bowl, garnish with paprika.
Serving: 2oz | Calories: 79.12kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.49g | Protein: 2.58g | Fat: 4.13g | Saturated Fat: 0.55g | Sodium: 280.75mg | Potassium: 95.59mg | Fiber: 2.37g | Sugar: 1.48g | Vitamin A: 136.2IU | Vitamin C: 4.85mg | Calcium: 17.99mg | Iron: 0.93mg