Nearly went out to my local coffee shop for one of their breakfast sandwiches (a commuting standby when I was going into the office every day) when I realized I could make one at home. Using a leftover sausage patty, a fried egg, and a slice of American cheese, I came away a couple bucks better off and very satisfied with my solution.
- Toast an English muffin, any brand or type. Get it fairly crispy.
- Pop a leftover breakfast sausage patty into the microwave, covered with a paper towel to avoid spatters, for 30 seconds on high. We alternate between bacon and sausage for our breakfast meat. I buy the pre-sliced sausage patties (1 1/2 ” diameter)—available from several companies—as the short path between hunger and breakfast.
- Fry an egg in butter, using a spatula to pull in the edges continuously until the egg sets and is just a tad bigger than the muffin. Or, use a 2″ diameter cookie/biscuit cutter, but the egg usually sticks to these.
- Butter the muffin. For an extra treat, spread a bit of your preferred jam (mine is blackberry) on both pieces.
- Assemble the McDad: Make a sandwich with the muffin slices, egg, sausage, and some American cheese, or any cheese that will melt well. Microwave for 20 seconds or until cheese is melty the way you like it.
- Enjoy with a good cup and satisfaction from saving a little dough.