Chaffles are double good. They’re a way for Keto dieters like me, who can’t get used to almond flour, to use it anyway. And, they let Keto-ites have something other than bacon and eggs for breakfast. No small thing.
I think I’ve always preferred the crispy outside and soft inside character of waffles to pancakes. But waffles need a special appliance. The Queen and I got two Sunbeam waffle makers for wedding presents, but a couple of down-sizes ago, we got rid of them. Enter the mini waffle maker and Keto. Sometimes you wish you could invent just the right product at just the right time to make your fortune. Before Keto, who ever heard of a mini waffle maker. Now they’re selling like—well, hotcakes.
- Buy at least two mini waffle bakers. Unless you live alone, having only one just takes too much time.
- You can omit the psyllium husk powder and the baking powder, but at your own risk. Psyllium is great for a healthy diet, and baking powder makes for just the right fluffiness.
- I don’t see why regular waffle batter won’t work with the little chaffle makers. Need to test that out. Or, maybe just sub out wheat flour for almond flour.
My preferred topping is real butter and pure maple syrup—a Keto no-no. But with maple syrup or not, chaffles should be your go-to waffle to avoid gluten and other downsides of wheat flour. Note that two chaffles only yield 3 net carbs versus 30+ for one regular wheat-flour-based waffle. And they’re delish!
We’re grateful to Keto guru Wholesome Yum for providing this recipe and giving us hope about almond flour. Check out their recipes and product suggestions.
- Chaffle maker
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 tsp psyllium husk powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat Chaffle maker(s) for 5 minutes.
- Mix together grated Mozzarella cheese, egg, almond flour, psyllium husk powder, and baking powder very well to get ingredients evenly distributed.
- Spoon half the batter into a Chaffle maker and tamp down carefully to spread around evenly. Close the lid.
- Bake your chaffle 4 minutes. Carefully remove from the maker with a fork.
- Butter the chaffle, and a topping if desired, and enjoy.