Discovered that I love making and eating lentil soup last year. Been looking forward to “soup time” now as Fall is here.
Lentil soup is really easy and really fantastic. This recipes gets you about 4 cups.
- In a suitable pot, in oil or oil and butter, saute…2 parts diced onion and 1 part each carrot and celery. You want a total of about 1 1/2 cups of veg.
- Optional: As vegs cook, add about 4 oz diced ham or bacon. Now, at my local in Virginia, I can get a 1 lb pack of ham scraps for about $2.50. This is great and cheap for flavoring soup, omelets, etc.
- When the saute is nice and soft – just starting to brown – add S&P and any other seasonings that sound good, although the meat flavoring above is plenty.
- Add 4 cups of chicken or veg broth. Bring to low boil. Add 1/2 lb lentils, any variety (I use green ones mostly.) Cook for 20 minutes, covered.
- Blend some or all with an immersion blender ’till you get the texture and consistency you like best.
- Add cream, but if you blend the soup, it will get sort of “creamy” without more fat.
- Garnish with parsley, sour cream, yogurt, chives, green onion, cilantro. Not all of them, just one!
- Savor the flavor!
Am always looking for quick and easy and flavorful. Got any favorites?