The only thing French about this recipe is the suggestion to use French bread. But any favorite bread will do…it’s the batter that counts!
Serves: Makes 12 slices of bread (unless you get really generous with the batter!)
- 3 large eggs
- ~1/4 C milk (Will leave the fat content selection to you. How much milk depends on how rich you want the batter and on how many eggs you have and people to serve.)
- 1 tsp. natural vanilla extract or scrapings from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 T sugar
- Pre-heat the griddle or frying pan all the way to medium heat. Needs be hot enough to get the job done and not let the toast stick, but not too hot or toast will cook too fast or burn.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. If you let them stand, re-whisk before diiping.
- Dip both sides of a slice of bread and place on griddle. Not too soggy, but cover every part of bread.
- You should aim to only turn bread once. This may take some practice! Wait till bread looks like it’s done…no wet spots…50% brown and 50% yellow.
- Use real butter, natural maple syrup, powdered sugar if you’ve got it.
IDEA: Put 1 C natural syrup and 2 T real butter in a microwavable bowl or cup. Heat on High 20-30 seconds. Pour over toast. Yummmm.