The Queen Mum (this would be Dad’s mother-in-law) has a great recipe for potato salad that has been a family favorite for decades. She can’t recall where the original came from, and has “modified” whatever the original was, but she can’t quite recall how. This is no doubt the story of most “old family recipes.”
I tried my first batch this weekend with acceptable results, according to the Queen. Here’s how it goes:
Ingredients for a batch to serve 6 or so:
- 5-7 russet potatoes, depending on average size
- 6 eggs
- Miracle Whip(R)
- Pickle relish
- Mustard (must be the brand that rhymes with “wrenches”)
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes until barely done the way you like them
- Hard-boil the eggs
- Let the potatoes and eggs cool. Peel and dice. Place in a large bowl.
- Mix the MW, relish, mustard and pimento. Add to bowl and fold so as not to break up the potatoes too much.
- Add S&P to taste. Chill in fridge for several hours.